Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Something To Clinically Ponder On….

What do you perceive when you read these statements?

“I can’t stop thinking about how he raped me, please help me..”

“I don’t want to talk about what happened in the past, I need to stop fighting people!”

“All I can see is hitting him in the face if he looks at me wrong again! You can’t change that!”

“I’m just crazy like that; I always get in trouble at school because I can’t control my attitude!”

“I’m never going to feel happy…”

How would you help the people that are stating those declarations as their therapist or mental health provider?

There are so many therapeutic approaches you can take, but I recommend using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) or Cognitive Therapy. CBT can help your clients with gaining better control over impulses and moods, resolve relationship conflicts, and assist with making good decisions. Most would call the statements mentioned above as distorted thoughts and beliefs that causes anger or pain. As a mental health provider or therapist, we can help our clients replace those “negative thoughts” so they will feel and function better when they are angry or feeling overwhelmed. One of the wonderful qualities about CBT is that most people see improvement within just a few weeks of participation.

So if you are a client and find yourself saying or thinking similar statements listed above, ask your therapist or mental health provider about cognitive therapy or CBT. And if you are a mental health provider and you hear your clients saying similar comments think about incorporating CBT in your sessions. Help your clients cross over their Bridges!

Something to clinically ponder on....

Nancia Leath, Clinical Director